Wednesday, April 16, 2014

HOW TO ARGUE WITH A CLIMATE SKEPTIC




The content of this post is a commentary I wrote in response to a supposed satirist who has contributed hundreds of pieces to a satire site called THE SPOOF!  I don't reveal this person's "handle" or name here or in my response to him/her on THE SPOOF!  because I don't think anyone should publicly subjected to public humiliation - sometimes my posts here and on THE SPOOF! are viewed by quite a few folks.  









Written by Keith Shirey
Rating:  

 Share/Bookmark
   Print this
Wednesday, 16 April 2014
image for Spoof Writer Schools Other Spoof Writer
JUST LIKE HITLER?
Even since I attempted to write satire on The Spoof! I realize how little I know about the art. For example there is a presentation here where, in a seemingly straightforward manner, Senator Rand Paul is quoted as stating that President Obama has "feed a bunch of lies to the public "about climate change.
The spoofist then goes on to present false and misleading "evidence" that the Senator is right. Then the writing ends.
I don't see the satire there but that's because I'm obviously unsophisticated and unschooled in how it is written. To me, the usual techniques of satire are exaggeration and incongruity.
But the spoof writer doesn't use these or any other satirical practices. Alas, I just don't understand the satire in the piece. But I'll keep on trying and trying and when I see why there is some sort of a spoof or lampoon I'll be so much better the writer for it.
The presentation in The Spoof! continues, that for every top scientist that takes money for climate change projects, "there are just as many honest scientists that say it's just a game."
That's not true: Approximately 0.01 percent of working climate scientists don't believe that climate change is real. The data comes from a new survey from the National Science Board. I guess the lie is somehow funny. But I just don't get it. Evidently the spoof writer Is showing to me that I just don't understand satire. But I will persevere.
Next the spoof supports Rand Paul by arguing that the earth has been cooling, not warming and that there's a possibility the world's temperature is headed in the opposite direction. I don't appreciate the humor here either. But it must be there, just cleverly hidden.
This is also isn't true. Maybe that's what's supposed to be so hilarious? A new 2014 NASA study shows that earth's climate will continue to warm during this century on track with previous estimates, despite the recent slowdown in the rate of global warming. In fact it shows that the earth is warming at a 20% rate higher than anticipated.
Finally, the spoofist writes, "Look at what Hitler told his people before they lost millions of people and what it cost all the other countries. That's because the people were convinced he was right although sane people tried to tell them it was not so."
Whether he/she is quoting Rand Paul or writing that this is her opinion isn't clear. Perhaps, that we are left to guess, is a source of merriment that I just don't have the intelligence or knowledge to understand.
Could it be that what is being said is that U.S. money spent on projects for scientific research on climate change (to stop the further extermination of animals and eco-systems, if not humans themselves) must be stopped before millions of Americans and people from "all the other countries" are decimated?
No, that can't be the true meaning of such an absurdly false analogy that would shame a 6th grader if he/she made it. No one could be that stupid! There has to something brilliantly subtle hidden here. Yet, one must wonder if the "satirist"is comparing President Obama to Adolph Hitler, a genocidal monster? Perhaps he/she thinks that the "scientific studies" authorized by Obama are similar to those of Josef Mengele, German Schutzstaffel officer and physician at Auschwitz concentration camp during the Holocaust?
I guess this is funny stuff. I suppose that I'm going to have to reconsider what I know about both satire and science. Surely a supporter of Senator Rand Paul (who is an ophthalmologist but not "board certified") would not really use a spoof site to spread misinformation about science and present nothing that even approaches satire.
Well, I suppose Rand Paul and The "satirist" on this site might be members of the Flat Earth Society. Now, that would be funny.
Make Keith Shirey's day - give this story five thumbs-up (there's no need to register, the thumbs are just down there!)
The story above is a satire or parody. It is entirely fictitious.
If you fancy trying your hand at comedy spoof news writing, click here to join!
   Print this
   
[0 comments]
 Discuss this story in the forum

No comments:

Post a Comment